(ue'' ka lip' tol).
Eucalyptol is obtained from oil of eucalyptus and from other sources. It contains NLT 98.0% and NMT 100.0% of C10H18O.
• Add 1 mL of phosphoric acid to 1 mL of Eucalyptol contained in a test tube maintained in an ice bath. A solid white crystalline mass is formed, from which eucalyptol separates upon addition of warm water.
System suitability solution: 0.2 mg/mL of limonene and 0.9 mg/mL of eucalyptol in methanol
Sample solution: 0.9 mg/mL of eucalyptol in methanol
Detector: Flame ionization
Column: 0.32-mm × 60-m fused-silica capillary column coated with phase G16
Temperature: See Table 1.
Injector port temperature: 250
Detector temperature: 250
Split flow rate: 50 mL/min
Carrier gas: Helium
Column head pressure: 30 psi
Injection size: 1 µL
Sample: System suitability solution
Resolution: NLT 2.0 between limonene and eucalyptol
Column efficiency: NLT 150,000 theoretical plates, eucalyptol
Samples: Sample solution and Blank
[NoteIdentify any peaks from the Sample solution, that correspond to those in the Blank, by their retention times. ]
Calculate the percentage of eucalyptol (C10H18O) in the portion of Eucalyptol taken:
Result = (rU/rT) × 100
Acceptance criteria: 98.0%100.0%
• Limit of Phenols
Analysis 1: Shake 5 mL with 5 mL of sodium hydroxide TS.
Acceptance criteria 1: The volume of Eucalyptol is not diminished.
Analysis 2: Shake 1 mL with 20 mL of water, and allow the liquids to separate. To 10 mL of the water layer, add 1 drop of ferric chloride TS.
Acceptance criteria 2: The mixture develops no violet color.
• Specific Gravity 841: 0.9210.924
• Congealing Temperature 651: NLT 0
• Optical Rotation, Angular Rotation 781A: 0.5 to +0.5
• Distilling Range, Method I 721: 174177
• Refractive Index 831: 1.4551.460 at 20
• Packaging and Storage: Preserve in tight containers.
Auxiliary Information Please check for your question in the FAQs before contacting USP.
USP35NF30 Page 3149Pharmacopeial Forum: Volume No. 37(2)