(koe' ko nut oyl).
Coconut oil [8001-31-8].
Coconut Oil is the refined fixed oil of the seeds of Cocos nucifera L. (Fam. Palmae).
• A. It meets the requirements in Specific Tests for Fats and Fixed Oils, Fatty Acid Composition 401.
• Arsenic, Method II 211: NMT 0.5 µg/g
• Alkaline Impurities
Sample: 10 mL of Coconut Oil
Analysis: Mix 10 mL of freshly distilled acetone and 0.3 mL of water, and add 0.05 mL of bromophenol blue TS. Neutralize the solution to a green color if necessary with 0.01 N hydrochloric acid or 0.01 N sodium hydroxide. Add the Sample, shake, and allow to stand. Titrate with 0.01 N hydrochloric acid VS to change the color of the upper layer to yellow.
Acceptance criteria: NMT 0.1 mL of 0.01 N hydrochloric acid VS is required.
• Fats and Fixed Oils, Acid Value 401: NMT 0.5, determined on 20.0 g
• Fats and Fixed Oils, Fatty Acid Composition 401: Coconut Oil exhibits the composition profile of fatty acids, shown in Table 1.
• Fats and Fixed Oils, Peroxide Value 401: NMT 5.0
• Fats and Fixed Oils, Unsaponifiable Matter 401: NMT 1.0%
• Melting Range or Temperature 741: 2326
• Water Determination, Method I 921: NMT 0.1%, 50 mL of chloroform being used as the solvent instead of 3540 mL of methanol
• Packaging and Storage: Preserve in tight, light-resistant, well-filled containers. No storage requirement specified.