(sor' bik as' id).
2,4-Hexadienoic acid, (E,E)-; 2,4-Hexadienoic acid;
(E,E)-Sorbic acid; Sorbic acid [110-44-1].
Sorbic Acid contains NLT 99.0% and NMT 101.0% of C6H8O2, calculated on the anhydrous basis.
• B. A 1-in-400,000 solution in isopropyl alcohol exhibits an absorbance maximum at 254 ± 2 nm.
Sample solution: Dissolve 250 mg of Sorbic Acid in a mixture of 50 mL of methanol and 25 mL of water that previously has been neutralized with 0.02 N sodium hydroxide. Add phenolphthalein TS.
Analysis: Titrate with 0.1 N sodium hydroxide VS to the first pink color that persists for at least 30 s. Each mL of 0.1 N sodium hydroxide is equivalent to 11.21 mg of C6H8O2.
Acceptance criteria: 99.0%101.0% on the anhydrous basis
• Melting Range or Temperature 741: 132135
• Water Determination, Method I 921: NMT 0.5%
• Packaging and Storage: Preserve in tight containers, protected from light, and avoid exposure to excessive heat.
• USP Reference Standards 11
USP Sorbic Acid RS
Auxiliary Information Please check for your question in the FAQs before contacting USP.
USP35NF30 Page 1963Pharmacopeial Forum: Volume No. 36(4) Page 951