(an' e thole).
Benzene, 1-methoxy-4-(1-propenyl)-, (E)-;
Anethole is obtained from Anise Oil and other sources, or it is prepared synthetically.
• Heavy Metals, Method II 231: NMT 20 ppm
• Limit of Phenols
Sample: 1 mL
Analysis: Shake the Sample with 20 mL of water, and allow the liquids to separate. Pass the water layer through a filter paper previously moistened with water, and to 10 mL of the filtrate add 3 drops of ferric chloride TS.
Acceptance criteria: No purple or purplish color is produced.
• Aldehydes and Ketones
Sample: 10 mL
Analysis: Shake the Sample with 50 mL of a saturated solution of sodium bisulfite in a graduated cylinder, and allow the mixture to stand for 6 h.
Acceptance criteria: No appreciable diminution in the volume of Anethole occurs, and no crystalline deposit separates.
• Specific Gravity 841: 0.9830.988
• Congealing Temperature 651: NLT 20
• Distilling Range, Method I 721: 231237, a correction factor of 0.063/mm being applied as necessary
• Optical Rotation, Angular Rotation 781A: 0.15 to +0.15
• Refractive Index 831: 1.5571.561
• Packaging and Storage: Preserve in tight, light-resistant containers.
• Labeling: Label to indicate whether it is of natural sources or is prepared synthetically.