(fen' el oyl).
Fennel Oil is the volatile oil distilled with steam from the dried, ripe fruit of Foeniculum vulgare Mill. (Fam. Apiaceae).
[NoteIf solid material has separated, carefully warm the Fennel Oil until it is completely liquefied, and mix before using. ]
• Heavy Metals, Method II 231: NMT 40 µg/g
• Specific Gravity 841: 0.9530.973
• Congealing Temperature 651: NLT 3
• Optical Rotation, Angular Rotation 781A: +12 to +24
• Refractive Index 831: 1.5281.538 at 20
• Solubility in 90% Alcohol: 1 volume dissolves in 1 volume of 90% alcohol.
• Packaging and Storage: Preserve in tight containers.
• Labeling: The label states the Latin binomial and, following the official name, the part of the plant source from which the article was derived. The label also states that if solid material has separated, carefully warm Oil until it is completely liquefied, and mix before using.
Auxiliary Information Please check for your question in the FAQs before contacting USP.
USP35NF30 Page 1804Pharmacopeial Forum: Volume No. 27(4) Page 2797