(ue' je nol).
Eugenol is obtained from clove oil and from other sources.
• Heavy Metals, Method II 231: NMT 40 ppm
Analysis: Dissolve 1 mL in 20 mL of 0.5 N sodium hydroxide in a 50-mL stoppered tube, add 18 mL of water, and mix.
Acceptance criteria: A clear mixture results immediately, but it may become turbid when exposed to air.
• Limit of Phenol
Analysis: Shake 1 mL with 20 mL of water, filter, and add 1 drop of ferric chloride TS to 5 mL of the clear filtrate.
Acceptance criteria: The mixture exhibits a transient grayish green color but not a blue or violet color.
• Specific Gravity 841: 1.0641.070
• Distilling Range, Method II 721: NLT 95% distills from 250255
• Refractive Index 831: 1.5401.542 at 20
• Solubility in 70% Alcohol: One volume dissolves in 2 volumes of 70% alcohol.
• Packaging and Storage: Preserve in tight, light-resistant containers.
Auxiliary Information Please check for your question in the FAQs before contacting USP.
USP35NF30 Page 3149Pharmacopeial Forum: Volume No. 37(2)