Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate
(proe' pi leen glye' kol dye kap' ri late/dye kap' roe ate).
Decanoic acid, mixed diesters with octanoic acid and propylene glycol [68583-51-7].
Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate is a mixture of the propylene glycol mono- and diesters of caprylic acid (C8H16O2) and capric acid (C10H20O2), the diesters fraction being predominant.
• B. Thin-Layer Chromatography Identification Test 201
Standard solution: 50 mg/mL of USP Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate RS in methylene chloride
Sample solution: 50 mg/mL of Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate in methylene chloride
Application volume: 10 µL, as streaks
Developing solvent system: Ether and hexane (7:3)
Spray reagent: 0.1 mg/mL of rhodamine 6G in alcohol
Samples: Standard solution and Sample solution
Develop the chromatogram over a path of 15 cm, and dry the plate in a current of air. Spray the plate with Spray reagent, and locate the spots on the plate by examination under UV light at a wavelength of 365 nm.
Acceptance criteria: The RF values of the principal spots from the Sample solution correspond to those from the Standard solution.
• C. It meets the requirements of the test for Fats and Fixed Oils 401, Fatty Acid Composition.
• Articles of Botanical Origin, Total Ash 561: NMT 0.1%
• Alkaline Impurities
Sample: 2.0 g of Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate
Analysis: Dissolve the Sample in a mixture of 1.5 mL of alcohol and 3.0 mL of ether. Add 0.05 mL of bromophenol blue TS.
Acceptance criteria: NMT 0.15 mL of 0.01 N hydrochloric acid is required in order to change the color of the indicator to yellow.
• Fats and Fixed Oils, Acid Value 401: NMT 0.2
• Fats and Fixed Oils, Fatty Acid Composition 401: Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate exhibits the composition profile of fatty acids shown in the following table:
• Fats and Fixed Oils, Hydroxyl Value 401: NMT 10
• Fats and Fixed Oils, Iodine Value 401: NMT 1.0
• Fats and Fixed Oils, Peroxide Value 401: NMT 1.0
• Fats and Fixed Oils, Unsaponifiable Matter 401: NMT 0.5%, determined on 5.0 g
• Water Determination, Method Ia 921: NMT 0.1%, using a mixture of methanol and methylene chloride (1:1) in place of methanol in the titration vessel
• Packaging and Storage: Preserve in well-closed containers, and protect from moisture. No storage requirements specified.
• USP Reference Standards 11
USP Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate RS
Auxiliary Information Please check for your question in the FAQs before contacting USP.
USP35NF30 Page 1933Pharmacopeial Forum: Volume No. 36(5) Page 1236